Are you an IT service management professional looking to expand your skills and career opportunities? Or maybe you’re just starting out in the industry, researching what qualifications will give you the best chance of success. In either case it’s very likely that you’ve come across ITIL® 4 while scouring job postings or certification programmes.
But what exactly is ITIL 4? In this blog, we’ll provide a detailed overview of the certification scheme – from how it works, to which qualifications are available, and how it can benefit you.
What is ITSM?
ITSM is a term which describes the development and delivery of digitally enabled products and services.
As technology evolves, it becomes a more essential career path for many businesses offering a wealth of opportunities for employees to develop in areas such as, artificial intelligence and cloud.
What is ITIL®4?
ITIL 4 is the current iteration of ITIL, a well-known framework that has been supporting organisations improve their IT service management (ITSM) for over 30 years. It is an adaptable and flexible framework for creating, designing, managing, and continually improving digitally enabled products and services.
The ITIL 4 scheme is comprised of numerous certifications that provide your teams with essential skills. At ILX, we offer ITIL 4 Foundation and the five training modules that comprise the ITIL 4 Managing Professional and ITIL 4 Strategic Leader designations, which provide teams and individuals with a clear progression path – depending on their role requirements or individual aspirations.
What certifications comprise the ITIL 4 Managing Professional and ITIL 4 Strategic Leader designations?
ITIL 4 Managing Professional is comprised of these four certifications:
- ITIL 4: Create, Deliver and Support
- ITIL 4: High-velocity IT
- ITIL 4: Drive Stakeholder Value
- ITIL 4: Direct, Plan and Improve
ITIL 4 Strategic Leader is comprised of these two certifications:
- ITIL 4: Direct, Plan and Improve
- ITIL 4: Digital and IT Strategy
Why will ITIL 4 benefit my career?
According to our research, this year 63% of organisations are investing in IT and enterprise service management skills. By certifying in ITIL 4, you will be taught a flexible, end-to-end operating model that will enable you to create, design and manage digitally enabled products and services effectively.
The ITIL 4 framework allows businesses to be more agile and better equipped to deal with emerging technologies and remain relevant and competitive in an increasingly disruptive marketplace.
Adopting and adapting ITIL 4 will help your organisation to:
- Boost productivity
- Enable faster outcomes
- Reduce downtime and wasteful work
- Increase efficiency and sustainability
- Improve speed to market and speed to value
- Effectively manage your IT assets
- Establish and develop stakeholder relationships
- And much more…
What are my career options once securing an ITIL certification?
The scheme provides you with a clear progression path, from Foundation upwards, for many roles within IT and ITSM. Some examples include:
- Senior roles: CIOs, Directors of Digital, Heads of IT, Directors of Digital Strategy
- Planning and change roles: Continuous Improvement Managers, Change Managers, Information Security and Compliance Managers, Risk Managers, Service Designers
- Operational roles: IT Operations Managers, Service Desk Managers, Change and Release Managers, Incident Managers, Problem Managers
- External or internal customer focused roles: Business Relationship Managers, Project Managers, Customer Success Managers, UX/CX Designers, Supplier Relationship Managers
- Development roles: Cloud Architects, DevOps Engineers, Software Developers, Automation Specialists
How do I start training?
ILX offer ITIL 4 training in a classroom learning, virtual learning, and e-learning format. All our training content has been developed from the official syllabus, and created by our subject matter experts, technical developers and learning development specialists.
Visit ITILtraining.com to request a quote, speak to our customer service team or to book training today!